I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, February 4, 2017

LDS Hymn #61


One of the shortest hymns in the book. Simple message and a simple tune. Yet we never sing this one. This is the first in the "Praising" section. (I gave it that name.) My favorite line is "Let our song still our joy and praise prolong."

From the history book
The hymn was written to be at the close of meetings. I love how she points out that in our meetings "the responsibility for what is occurring rests with one individual at a time" in talks, prayers, or in small groups like a musical number or new callings. But at the end of the meeting "all individuals join together in one expression of heartfelt praise," bringing the congregation together and making them whole. This hymn first appeared in 1927. It is in a chorale style, which used to be written in half-note rhythms but changed to quarter notes for the current hymnal so that it wouldn't invite a slow tempe (like those 2/2 hymns I have already written of my frustrations!).

Lyrics

  1. 1. Raise your voices to the Lord,
    Ye who here have heard his word.
    As we part, his praise proclaim,
    Shout thanksgiving to his name.
  2. 2. Shout thanksgiving! Let our song
    Still our joy and praise prolong,
    Until here we meet again
    To renew the glad refrain.
  3. Text and music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: