I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

LDS Hymn #53


I know nothing about this hymn. I don't think I even picked it for any congregation to sing. 2/2 is possibly my least favorite time signature and I struggle trying to sight-read this song. No tune comes to mind and my rhythm is totally off. Will have to listen to the recording on LDS.org a few times to get that. But looking over the text--I like that. The joy of having a prophet on earth again. The peace and friendship that will come with the Millennium.

From the history book
I like how it points out that this hymn includes all inhabitants of the earth, not just the Saints. It talks of how the tune reflects the message in a joyous but noble manner. That it is straightforward in style (and yes, those chords are straight forward if I could just get the timing right!). The tune name honors a city near to me because it is where the composer went to high school and later met his wife while teaching at the high school. The text first appeared in 1863, but the tune did not get published until 1948.

I am determined to get to know this little hymn more in spite of that 2/2 time.

Lyrics

  1. 1. Let earth's inhabitants rejoice
    And gladly hail the glorious hour;
    Again is heard a prophet's voice,
    And all may feel the gospel's pow'r.
  2. 2. The blissful time will soon arrive,
    The day by holy men foretold,
    When man no more with man will strive,
    And all in each a friend behold.
  3. 3. Oppression will no more be found,
    Nor tyrant hold relentless sway,
    But love to God and man abound
    Thruout the long millennial day.
  4. Text: William Clegg, 1823-1903
    Music: Leroy J. Robertson, 1896-1971. (c) 1948 IRI

No comments: