I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

LDS Hymn #52



My first memory of this hymn being set into my head was in 10th grade when I was singing in the ward choir. I was in the soprano section with my good friend from high school and Young Women's (not a common occurrence in my east coast home) and her mother. I think I may have sung this once or twice growing up. The tune when I sang it in choir was somewhat familiar. But I didn't know the words. So, there we were sight-singing. And all 3 of us gustily singing in the chorus were suddenly holding out "Hail to thine ear........!" What? Ear!? Before we all at the same moment realized it was the first syllable of the word "early." Oh! We should have been singing "er!" And every time I have sung this hymn I think of "Hail to thine ear."

Aside from that fun memory, I enjoy this hymn. A bright one to sing about the Restoration and getting to live the Gospel on earth until the beautiful day of the Millennium.

Favorite lines:
*"the world is awaking"
*All of Verse 2, especially "In many a temple the Saints will assemble And labor as saviors of dear ones away"
*Still let us be doing
*Then pure and supernal, our friendship eternal, With Jesus

Some great text with wonderful messages and lessons!

From the history book
She quotes J. Spencer Cornwall who "often did not care for hymns in the less dignified gospel-song tradition...calling [this hymn] 'distinct and interesting due to its chorus which is rhythmically different from the verse part, but beautifully co-ordinated with the tune and form of the verse.'" This is SO true! First published in 1877, by a man who became a member only 4 years earlier.


No comments: