I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Count the many... (even though I only have time for a few)

Today's Conference talk in my Gospel Study was President Monson's Sunday morning talk from last fall. I felt it only right to do as the prophet suggested, and write down some of the blessings I have seen in my life. Both great and small. I tend to do better at writing that down when I have a computer because my typing keeps up with the brain flow better than my hand writing. So I thought I'd jot off a few right now before work. And how appropriate that Josh's "Thankful" song just played on my iPod.

He talked about seeing the blessings in our lives, but I also wanted to point out (for myself) ones that have been rather immediate in my life. So I'm going to list them in two categories: recent and life in general. Please note I am doing both GREAT and SMALL. In no particular order. And what may seem trivial or silly to you probably is. However, Pres. Monson did say "I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives." And to me, those details include anything that brings me joy, peace, happiness, love, and more.

Recent:
  • I think I'm finally over the awful sickness I got at the end of February. I felt pretty wretched and its effects lasted for weeks.
  • I know how to take care of my hair better than before--and it doesn't take as long as I worried it would.
  • I have my music to listen to in the morning
  • I managed to get up around the 6 o'clock hour the last 4 mornings
  • I love my Vitamix machine. I love getting in so many fruits and vegetables and I can tell my body loves it, too.
  • I am so grateful I have met a particular young man recently. I am interested in him, and I'm pretty sure he is not interested in me. But interest aside, I am so grateful for the friendship that we have been developing. It has been a long time since I have had a good male friend that I can turn to. I am grateful for the opportunities we are having to deepen and improve this friendship. 
  • I loved going dancing last Saturday! Especially at my home of BYU. And that I had an excuse to dress up for it. And that I got to people watch there, which was so fun because they all looked beautiful and were so happy as they were dancing. Loved it.
  • I'm grateful I have another brother serving a mission, and that he is working hard and diligently.
  • So grateful for my family.
  • I'm grateful I'm finally getting my letter project to my nieces and nephews going.
  • I'm grateful to have clothes to wear, food to eat, a lovely place to live, a bed to sleep in, blankets to keep me warm, a job to go to that is fun and fulfilling, and good health and strength to accomplish so many things
Life:
  • my parents. For sacrificing so much for us kids. And for loving us. And for being very patient with me!
  • my siblings, who put up with a lot from their bratty little sister until I was able to fit in more with them. I'm grateful that they still love me in spite of me being me. :-)
  • I'm grateful that I was raised with the Gospel. Grateful that it has always been a part of my life.
  • the covenants I have made throughout my life.
  • I'm grateful I am able to enter the temple and serve there--especially now that I can do so often.
  • my testimony
  • I'm grateful for the things that have been in my life to help strengthen my testimony: scriptures, prayer, callings, temples, messages from leaders, trials and tribulations
  • the opportunities I have had related to music (choirs, musicals, etc.)
  • music
  • the role music plays in my life
  • Books!
  • the chance I had to be educated. Learned to read, cipher, analyze, and all that school-stuff
  • the chance I had to gain non-school education: how to be a friend, how to love another, how to serve, how to smile, how to be kind, how to know when to reach out, etc
  • the opportunities I have to still learn and improve on the things in the previous item
  • overall decent health. My health problems have not kept me from living a very full, happy life so far. Even the few things I am limited from doing are extremely few and rather inconsequential
  • the Church and its programs
  • the scriptures
  • my ability to pray whenever, where ever, and for whatever--knowing that my Heavenly Father hears and answers in His own time and for my best interests
  • my smile, and that there are so many things to bring that smile to my face
  • food. Mmm. It's good. 
  • the moves I had to help me learn to adjust to change (since that has always been a struggle for me)
  • learning to find beauty where ever I may be
  • the chance to travel out of my country and learn of other peoples and their cultures
  • being able to attend BYU for college. It offered everything I needed educationally, socially, spiritually, and more
  • the wonderful friends I have been privileged to have in my life
  • The things of the Internet that have enabled me to stay in easier, more frequent contact with friends and family
  • having outlets to write out my thoughts and feelings and more
  • the freedoms I have had from living in this country]
  • having a choice to let my voice be heard
  • being able to have opinions and feelings and thoughts
  • JOY
  • my hair
  • learning how to dress and present myself to make me feel more confident and beautiful
  • my eyes
  • my heritage--all the ethnicities that make me who I am
  • having a love for family history work--someone's gotta do it, and at least I love to!
  • the family journals I had available to read when I was growing up
  • the many jobs I have had--having employment, learning new skills, meeting many people, and simply learning to work hard and well and to earn what I make
  • all the homes I have been in. I've been rather fortunate in all of them for one reason or another (or many more)
  • being the emotional person I can be, because really it just means that Heavenly Father blessed me with a tender heart. And maybe it seems like a weakness or silly. But I am grateful to have something tender in a world full of cruelty and sadness--and is in need of tenderness and compassion
Wow. I was just getting started and now I must be off. 

Truly: I am so blessed. Beyond what could be counted.

No comments: