I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Some Great Thing - Part 2

"We have in the modern history of the Church contrasting examples of men who were highly favored of the Lord. One, Hyrum Smith, remained totally faithful and committed, even to the giving of his life, while the other, Oliver Cowdery, despite having witnessed 'some great things' in the history of the Restoration, became blinded by his personal ambition and lost his exalted place in the leadership of the Church.

". . . No one except the Prophet Joseph was more honored with the ministering of angels than Oliver Cowdery.

"But when the Prophet Joseph fell upon hard times, Oliver was critical of him and became estranged from him. . . .

". . . Even though Oliver came back, he lost his exalted place in the Church.

"In contrast, President Heber J. Grant said of Hyrum Smith: 'There is no better example of an older brother's love than that exhibited in the life of Hyrum Smith for the Prophet Joseph Smith. . . . They were as united and as affectionate and as loving as mortal men could be. . . . There never was one particle of . . . jealousy . . . in the heart of Hyrum Smith. No mortal man could have been more loyal, more true, more faithful in life or in death than was Hyrum Smith to the Prophet of the living God' ("Hyrum Smith and His Distinguished Posterity," Improvement Era, Aug. 1918, 854–55).

"He responded to every need and request from his younger brother, Joseph, who led the Church and received the revelations which we have today. Hyrum was steadfast day to day, month by month, year in and year out."

James E. Faust, "Some Great Thing," Ensign, Nov. 2001, 46–47

I love the word steadfast. It is so powerful and describes something we most need to be in the Gospel. Couple it with immovable and you catch a glimpse of the strong force of a mountain the Lord wants us to be as servants of Him.

This quote ties in quite well with the previous related post (both quotes coming from the same talk). But the point that stands out to me more is who stayed steadfast--with no jealousy, full of faith, giving all trust and support. Joseph's very own brother. His elder brother. Sadly too often the people we are most contentious with in this life are those of our own family. Those whom we should love more than any other. Jealousy has a stronger tendency to arise in familial relationships than in others. And yet Hyrum did not do such an un-Christlike thing.

O to be like Hyrum, and Sam, and the other brothers who loved their siblings and leaders with full devotion and whole purpose of heart!

No comments: