I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bungee Jumping

“All of us can find enjoyment in a wide range of wholesome, entertaining, and engaging activities. But we diminish the importance of our bodies and jeopardize our physical well-being by going to unusual and dangerous extremes searching for an ever greater and more exhilarating adrenaline ‘rush.’ We may rationalize that surely nothing is wrong with such seemingly innocent exploits and adventures. However, putting at risk the very instrument God has given us to receive the learning experiences of mortality—merely to pursue a thrill or some supposed fun, to bolster ego, or to gain acceptance—truly minimizes the importance of our physical bodies.”

David A. Bednar, “Things as They Really Are,” CES fireside for young adults, May 3, 2009

I know some hear, think, and feel different things when our leaders speak to us. Hopefully those are things of the Spirit that we use as a personal guide to help us make the best decisions and choices for ourselves. It may be silly to some, but as soon as I heard Elder Bednar say this, I knew that my desire (and reasons for that desire) to want to try bungee jumping some day were wrong. In general I am fairly protective of the body Heavenly Father has placed me in charge of. But I occasionally do like the thrill of something fast and exhilarating. But for mine own self, I know that at least this one desire is wrong. It pushes boundaries of safety and goes into dangerous, thus being something I know I am not to pursue. Others will feel this means something else to them. What is most important is if what you feel is the Spirit guiding you, and then following that spiritual prompting.

2 comments:

erica fly said...

Yeah. All my life I have been deathly afraid of heights. At the ripe old age of somewhere into my teenage years I tried to again climb the caterpillar at chesapeake park. I figured since I was incapable of walking under it without bumping my head I could climb it. To my dismay, I got to the top and looked down. I for the life of me could not move. I was with my family so of course I was getting joked on but I started to cry and I could not get down. From that day on I decided that I was going to do something outrageous like bungee jumping or skydiving so that I could hopefully conquer my fear. Then along came that broadcast and I am stuck. I want to follow what the leaders tell us but at the same time I don't want to be afraid anymore.... what is your opinion on this matter ten cow?

ldsjaneite said...

Try a roller coaster. As long as I feel secure in it, I thoroughly enjoy myself and feel safe in the bargain. Plus, you're going so fast you often don't realize how high you are. And I love feeling the wind whip past me. I think it's one reason I like swings. :-)