I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Prayer - Vital to This Life

"You need His help, and you know that you need His help. You cannot do it alone. You will come to realize that and recognize that more and more as the years pass. So live that in good conscience you can speak with the Lord. Get on your knees and thank Him for His goodness to you and express to Him the righteous desires of your hearts. The miracle of it all is that He hears. He responds. He answers--not always as we might wish He would answer, but there is no question in my mind that He answers."

Gordon B. Hinckley, "A Prophet's Counsel and Prayer for Youth," Ensign, Jan. 2001, 10

I very much have a testimony of this--one that has been tested over and over in order to deepen its roots within me. I echo President Hinckley--there is absolutely no question in my mind that He answers. I know He does. I could not even count how many times the Lord has let me know He is listening, how often He has comforted me, and how He has certainly answered my prayers in the way He knows is best. I am so grateful that we have prayer as part of our communication with our Father in Heaven. I regret every missed prayer--whether it be that I distracted myself with unimportant things and forgot, or whether I did not make the prayer meaningful. I always have room to improve the way I speak to my Father in Heaven. But I'm glad He is patient and understanding in that aspect as He is with everything else. I'm grateful He listens, and answers.

No comments: