I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Prayer and Service

"We can and must go often and carefully to the word of God. If we become casual in our study of the scriptures, we will become casual in our prayers.

"We may not cease to pray, but our prayers will become more repetitive, more mechanical, lacking real intent. Our hearts cannot be drawn out to a God we do not know, and the scriptures and the words of living prophets help us know Him. As we know Him better, we love Him more.

"We must also serve Him to love Him. Joseph Smith did that, finally surrendering life itself in His service. Joseph prayed with the intent to obey. That obedience always includes service to others. Service in God's work allows us to feel a part of what He feels and come to know Him."

Henry B. Eyring, "Prayer," Ensign, Nov. 2001, 17

I think that the beginning part of this quote is most poignant and pertinent to me at this point in my life. I feel too often I am rushing in my prayers, or not giving my Heavenly Father the time, reverence, gratitude, and devotion owed Him through that most sacred communication. In short, too casual. I do not falter in my prayers, I know. They are innumerable. I just feel I could and should be doing better. That's why I'm grateful that two Conferences in a row Elder Bednar spoke on ways we could improve our prayers and make them more meaningful.

It is quotes like these that give me the reminders to keep working on things--service also included. I hope we may each try to leave off the casual and have more meaningful prayers. After all, when one looks at it--you really cannot afford to not pray. So if prayer is vital, then why would you waste your time on something that isn't meaningful?

Pray because you need to, and pray because you mean to.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Good reminder! Thanks for the quote and your thoughts.