I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Gospel Message Day 70

Christmas Scripture Advent Part 3

Day 3 Scripture - Micah 5:2
But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

A scripture about where our Savior was born! I found a definition of Bethlehem: House of Bread. Isn't that the neatest thing? Jesus is known as the Bread of Life. Bethlehem is where He came from. AND His Father (stepfather, actually--namely Joseph) was of a house (lineage) that traced back to Bethlehem.

I love that our humble Redeemer was not born in a huge city (namely Jerusalem). He was born in a smaller town, less fanfare (angels aside!). So sweet how the scripture says, "though thou be little among the thousands." How often do we feel small or insignificant? And yet there is greatness within us, for we are Children of God. And as my friend used to say: God don't make no junk. :-) He doesn't!

We are of infinite worth and wondrous things come from each of us. I like the analogy of us being like Bethlehem--and this is the first time I've made it.

Today's song seems a pretty obvious choice:
 

And I must include the lyrics, for the 3rd verse is not as well known, but is the best part of the whole thing!

O little town of Bethlehem,
How still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep,
The silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light.
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight.

O morning stars, together
Proclaim the holy birth
And praises sing to God, the King,
And peace to men on earth.
For Christ is born of Mary,
And gathered all above,
While mortals sleep, the angels keep
Their watch of wondering love.

How silently, how silently,
The wondrous Gift is giv'n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear His coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive Him still,
The dear Christ enters in.

O holy Child of Bethlehem,
Descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sins and enter in,
Be born to us today.
We hear the Christmas angels
The great glad tidings tell:
Oh, come to us, abide with us,
Our Lord Emmanuel!

No comments: