I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Gospel Message Day 357

Family Responsibilities, Part 2

This month is the 20th anniversary of the Proclamation on the Family being given. I can't believe it has been 20 years. That is 2/3 of my life, and yet I can remember when it came forth. I wasn't old enough to be present at the Relief Society meeting (though I always thought of that as my meeting, considering the timing of it). But I remember it being talked of, and seeing the document start showing up everywhere. It has been a most crucial and sustaining document for me in my life, especially over the most recent years.

It breaks down responsibilities of parents. To quote (emphasis added): 
"HUSBAND AND WIFE have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations....

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed."

It doesn't list any responsibilities of the children, but I have been taught about that as well. As children, we are to obey our parents when we know what they ask is honorable and righteous. As siblings we are to treat each other kindly and do our best to protect each other from the world we have to live in. While I know that is the parents' job as well, I remember as I grew up how my siblings were with me every day at school, and at church functions, and at home every day. Just ask my family about The Halloween Story and one would know how my siblings were just as much protectors as my parents. All my life, every one of them have been there for me in so many ways. Perhaps part of that is because I was the baby for a decade, and even after Baby Bro came I was forever Baby Sister. They cared for me and took care of me though my college years. It's probably why for the last 8 years I have missed my siblings so much. I miss the times and experiences we had growing up--especially the happier ones! :-) It has been tough in life to see these siblings go on with marriages and families of their own while I am not able to experience or enjoy it. But what hurts more is that I feel left behind. I don't feel as much a part of my siblings any more. 

Still, even though they live different lives from me now, we all still have the Gospel. And we all still have each other. For eternity.



No comments: