I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, October 29, 2016

LDS Hymn #17




This is another hymn, not often song, that if asked to hum it on the spot, I would not quite remember it. But as soon as I see the music I remember. This is an odd one to lead when I am not as familiar with any non-soprano parts. For in this song we get one of the fun composings when there is a "solo" or "soli" part. Only in this case, all parts are singing except soprano. So as I lead, I wonder if I should switch to at least alto on that part. It feels weird, but it would be so much the odder to not be singing (or at least mouthing) the words while I am up there conducting the congregation in the hymn.

While this is a Restoration song, it doesn't talk as much about the events that brought the Restoration about as it does how we should be as Saints. We now have the fulness of the Gospel restored, so we have more of a responsibility to be obedient and living that Gospel.

From the history book
The hymn talks about the Lord's protection of the Saints, which had another meaning back in the early days of the Church and all the persecution they endured. There were 3 other verses (2, 4, and 6) that more specifically referred to those persecutions. AND it turns out the 1985 Hymnbook Committee tried to avoid printing extra verses at the bottom of the page. Probably because they knew as we now see it happening that congregations just don't bother singing those "extra" verses.

Verse 2 mentions "blood of those that [were] slaughtered." Definitely not the cheeriest verse to sing  in church now! Reminds me of one of the hymns from the older hymnbook about "How many on Missorui's plains were massacred, they bled...." Yeah.

I rather like the other 2 verses, especially #4. So I will just put them here:

Then let your souls be stayed on God,
A glorious scene is drawing nigh;
Though tempests gather like a flood,
The storm, though fierce, will soon pass by.

Our God in judgement will come near;
His mighty arm he will make bare.
For Zion's sake he will appear;
Then, O ye Saints, awake, prepare!

Lyrics

  1. 1. Awake, ye Saints of God, awake!
    Call on the Lord in mighty prayer
    That he will Zion's bondage break
    And bring to naught the tempter's snare,
    And bring to naught the tempter's snare.
  2. 2. Tho Zion's foes have counseled deep,
    Although they bind with fetters strong,
    The God of Jacob does not sleep;
    His vengeance will not slumber long;
    His vengeance will not slumber long.
  3. 3. With constant faith and fervent prayer,
    With deep humility of soul,
    With steadfast mind and heart, prepare
    To see th'eternal purpose roll,
    To see th'eternal purpose roll.
  4. 4. Awake to righteousness; be one,
    Or, saith the Lord, "Ye are not mine!"
    Yea, like the Father and the Son,
    Let all the Saints in union join.
    Let all the Saints in union join.
  5. Text: Eliza R. Snow, 1804-1887
    Music: Evan Stephens, 1854-1930

No comments: