I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Favorite Book Ever--I Highly Recommend It

"The Book of Mormon is a book that teaches 'the great plan of happiness' (Alma 42:8; see also vv. 5, 13, 31; 2 Nephi 9). In profound yet understandable terms, the Book of Mormon teaches the purpose of life, from whence we came, and what happens when we die. We learn of faith in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice, of repentance, of the importance of baptism by immersion, and of the gift and power of the Holy Ghost. By studying and feasting upon the doctrines of the Book of Mormon, we gain 'a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men,' with a desire to 'endure to the end' that we may 'have eternal life' (2 Nephi 31:20)."


Craig C. Christensen, "A Book with a Promise," Ensign, May 2008, 107

All I can think to add to this is to include a very early entry (September 6, 2005) from my personal blog:
Isn't it great that 11 million people all over the world have been issued the same challenge?: to read the Book of Mormon! I have always loved the book and I greatly enjoy reading it. I had bought a small copy in Palmyra and had just barely begun to read from this highly portable item when the First Presidency issued this challenge to every LDS member throughout the world. Now when I read, I am uplifted knowing that many others have taken up the same challenge and will be reading the entire book before the end of the year. Any one who is taking the challenge can ask another fellow member where they are reading and what they got out of it and how they felt and et cetera, et cetera. Just within my own home there are at least 5 of us who are going along on the challenge. I love it!!! I think everyone should take the personal challenge to read the entire Book of Mormon every year. Then I think we might be a little closer to using the book as it was intended and as Pres. Benson wanted to see it used. If anyone who does not have a copy would like one and also take up this marvelous challenge, go to this link:
http://www.mormon.org/freeoffers/0,17785,2071-1-1,00.html?src=google

To all, Mormon and non-Mormon alike: It is a most precious book. Please read it.

Here are Pres. Hinckley's own words:
"I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon... before the end of this year. "

"Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God." 
--Gordon B. Hinckley, "A Testimony Vibrant and True," Ensign, Aug. 2005, 3

No comments: